Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sculpture Tuesday





While I am traveling, I tend to spend most of my time actually traveling. The proof of the trip comes later, as memories. I've been thinking, lately, about some stunning sculptures that I saw over the summer. In June, I spent a long afternoon in the National Archeology Museum of Athens. Yes, Athens, Greece.

As someone who never tires of the magic of sculpture, this place delighted me. Sculpture is bold. The curator of this portion of the museum understood that the lifelikeness of these pieces would be best appreciated against the stark contrast of color. Since I haven't been feeling particularly lifelike in recent days, I've been in search of sources of delight. I find myself returning to these photos and that afternoon and am the happier for it. Who says that most travel photos are never seen again?