Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Own Radio Station, Circa 1993

I have a time capsule box of cassettes in my garage, waiting patiently atop the deep fryer and the My Little Pony Dream House, hoping that I will soon rediscover them. At the moment, I don't have any way to listen to them, since the cassette player component of my stereo died some years ago. In all of my efforts to create a minimalist, monastic living space, I feel as though it would be prudent to give them away. And yet, I can't bring myself to dispose of them. Instead, I'm inviting you to have a brief look into the tupperware tomb containing the music I used to love, which practically defined a period of my life. It's going to be a great grungy stroll down high school memory lane. I'm as excited about it as you are! Shall we?

Suede - The Drowners:



What does the writing along that guy's spine mean? I feel as though I'm missing a hidden message in this video.

Screaming Trees - Julie Paradise



Sure, everyone remembers 'Nearly Lost You' from Singles, one of the best movies ever, but nobody has ever heard of this one. Except me, of course.

The Lemonheads - Into Your Arms



I can't believe I used to have a crush on Evan Dando. Sheesh.

Blind Melon - Change



I used to listen to this song in the middle of the night and just know that Shannon Hoon really understood me. Too bad he died of a heroin overdose.

Belly - Feed the Tree



I still have no idea what the heck this song is about. But I do know all of this and more.

Mary's Danish - Underwater



When they came to Tucson, I managed to somehow win tickets and con my mother into allowing me to go. Combat boots never looked as great as they did with my granny dress that night. I am actually about as cool now as I thought I was then. Which isn't saying much.

Rocket From The Crypt - French Guy



The best RFTC album ever is Paint as a Fragrance. I defy anyone to name a better one.

Primus - Jerry Was A Race Car Driver



I saw them play this, live, at Lollapalooza. Yeah. Remember that? I still have the t-shirt. It may be grunge style 7,000 sizes too large, but I still have it.

Ok, one more:

Paul Westerberg - Dyslexic Heart



This couldn't be a complete stroll without something from Singles. Which I have on VHS and DVD. Just in case I get a VCR again, you know, one day. They're coming back, I can feel it.